Monday, May 20, 2013

So many changes

Hitting the 6th week, and still no morning sickness. I'm certainly not complaining, because that's the last thing I need. What I've experienced so far: I lost 5 lbs and have been exhausted. When Mike and I were gardening, ever so often I'd have to stop to catch my breath- though that might have been due to the fact that we were lifting bags of soil and mulch, plowing, tilling, and building planters in 80 degree weather. Other than that, I'm doing ok for now and praying it stays that way. I've attributed the weight loss mainly due to the end of the semester and having time to relax and sleep again, and losing a bunch of stress/water weight. I'm sure those pounds will come back to visit in the second trimester, but for now, I'm happy to see them go.

Mike and I have had one heck of a time keeping the news from our families and friends. Luckily our families have been in and out of town the last couple weeks so we haven't seen them quite as much, and my semester came to an end, giving me time away from my friends in nursing school. I found out I was pregnant in early May, with 2 weeks left of the semester: 2 weeks which just happened to include quite a few get-togethers, in which I had to figure out how to avoid anyone noticing I wasn't drinking. I had to refrain from some delicious-looking summer sangria at the nursing end-of-semester picnic by the lakefront. Seriously, what a bummer! Luckily, Mike has been doing his darnedest to figure out different alcohol-free summer drink recipes for me, which has really helped make me feel somewhat normal and has helped cover up when friends or family comes over (I mean, they don't need to know it's alcohol-free :). 

We are planning to tell our family and friends at the 12 week mark as for the time being, which just happens to be the fourth of July. So if you are reading this, it has most likely hit that point in time and we have spread the news! Simply stated, most miscarriages occur within the first trimester of pregnancy, and with this being our first Mike and I both thought it best to wait to break the news to avoid extra disappointment and having to explain to so many if something were to go wrong. Working in labor and delivery at Froedter and being a first-time mom-to-be has given a whole new meaning to the word "nervous." Froedtert Hospital's labor & delivery unit, for those who are not as familiar with the medical center, is located on the 6th floor of Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Because of this, we admit a large number of women with high-risk pregnancies due to the Froedtert's outstanding medical services for the mother, and the presence of a Level 4 NICU on the 3rd floor, rated among the best NICU's in the nation. This being said, I see many, many high-risk moms and babies at work every day, which adds a little anxiety to my pregnancy, to say the least. So here's to praying for a beautiful, healthy baby and pregnancy :)

For those curious, we did decide to have the baby at Froedtert, and I hope to work as long as I possibly can (basically, it would be nice to just go into labor one day at work, wouldn't it? and then just pick a room- that has happened with some of the other girls I work with). Mike and I chose Dr. Manning to be our OB, and she is just an amazing lady. Mike thoroughly enjoys her, and she manages to make us comfortable and enjoy meeting with her regardless of the fact that she and I work together and that she just happens to know me from the inside out- literally. And she has been quite good at keeping our secret at work, too. Since the baby is due in January, I will have to figure it out with work what is best for my start date. Most externs graduate, work as graduate nurses up until they pass their NCLEX, then take a little time off before beginning OB-RN training on the floor. For me, I will be graduating in mid-December, and will be taking my NCLEX within the months following. The baby is due around January 17th, so hopefully I will be able to work some time off into that portion of time. Ironically, my supervisor who will need to okay everything is also pregnant and due in September- so here's hoping she'll be understanding! Our supervisors and educators on our floor are absolutely some of the most wonderful people I've ever met, so I don't have many doubts.

Speaking of work, off to work it is for the day for this girl. Hoping for a calm day, seeing as we have some big storms rolling in for the rest of the week. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment