Monday, January 6, 2014

38 weeks: Pregnancy in Review


I'm huge. Uncomfortable, and huge. Don't get me wrong folks, I am very, VERY excited for Jack to get here (and by excited, I mean impatient as heck!) but this being huge thing- so overrated. I'll take my size 6 back any day now, thanks.


I've made the blankies, washed the clothes, cleaned the house, sewed the crinkle toys, got the diapers all ready set and every kind of baby wash known to mankind and then some. I've rearranged the furniture a dozen times (thank you, Mike, for helping me/putting up with that), and even resorted to scrubbing down the kitchen cabinets. Our bathtub, the baby whale tub, and the sinks are spotless and ready for a baby. I'm pretty sure you could eat off our kitchen floor at this point (though the dogs take care of that). Mike installed the carpeting on the basement stairs, and we've got freezer/crockpot meals to last us well over a month. We are golden. So what's left?

Jack. Any day now. Seriously.

So now that I'm well-into the final stretch here (no pun intended there), what am I most excited for?

  • Baby-snuggles. Newborn, especially. I'm pretty sure those are the best snuggles there is.
  • Wine. 
  • Sushi.
  • Feta cheese.
  • Not worrying about my dumb lunchmeat anymore.
  • More coffee.
  • Diet Coke.
  • Exercising like a normal person again.
  • Climbing the stairs without groaning.
  • Shaving my legs without feeling like I just pumped iron.
  • Painting my toenails without feeling like a contortionist.
  • My normal jeans.
  • My belly not showing at the bottom of my shirts.
  • Cute underwear... though I'm sure that'll be a while again.
  • High heels.
  • Being able to snuggle up next to my husband without feeling like we're snuggling a watermelon.
  • Lying on my tummy again (BACK MASSAGES!)
  • Being able to pick things up easily when I drop them (which happens a lot)
What am I most nervous about?
Being a good mom, a good role model, a good friend, and a good wife. That Jack grows up to be a Jesus-loving, confident, intelligent, respectful boy who is curious and creative and silly. I feel like there are only so many articles you can read, books you can buy, and pieces of advice you can take before it all goes to shit, really, and you just end up flying by the seat of your pants I feel like my greatest resource in the years ahead is going to be a boat-load of prayer and perseverance. I'm nervous about the sleepless nights and crying frenzies, the blow-out diapers, scraped knees, night terrors, first crushes, drivers ed, college tuition, and who he'll turn out to be someday. I'm nervous because our little man will change the world simply by living in it. So here's to a whole lot of prayer that we get this right the first time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment