Sunday, January 10, 2016

Choo Choo! Jack is TWO!

And so we arrive at 2 years. Jack has become the epitome of the perfect kid. He loves to talk in strangely full, clear sentences, can count to thirteen on his own and twenty with help, can say his ABC's, and knows his colors. He was totally potty trained by 19 months old (minus night time of course), loves every food imaginable (even salmon, brussel sprouts, salad, and jalapeƱos... What? That's almost concerning...). He sleeps through the night like a champ, and has taken to his big kid twin bed like a rockstar. He says please & thank you, God Bless You when you sneeze, and excuse me when he's trying to get through. And... he's so ridiculously adorable with those huge blue eyes and thick curly locks, we can't even handle it. He has totally blown our minds. God has totally blown our minds.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Bean. You are our everything. We pray that your next year will be filled with wonder, plenty of silliness, and a whole bunch of learning and awe of the world around you.

In October of 2015, I (Mandy) was able to go part time at work thanks to my ever supportive and incredibly hard-working husband. Mike has been consistently moving up in his position which gave us the freedom we needed to make a decision, so together we decided after almost a year of deliberation that it was in Jack's best interests for me to be home with him more, and I now only work about 7 days/month- give or take council/staff meetings and picked-up shifts. I am so incredibly blessed to have gotten into such a flexible yet challenging career. There truly is a reason nursing is referred to as the most trusted profession, even from the inside. It favors family, compassion, and hard work. It focuses on individuals while studying populations. And it challenges you, every single day.

And so, over the last few months I have had the opportunity to be home with Jack, learn with him, snuggle and be silly with him. I've gotten to teach him and watch him grow while still maintaining my career. It has been an amazing, wild ride and I wouldn't change it for anything. 

Recently many have asked what my plan is for the future, if I'll go back full time, go back to school for that doctorate. Short answer: maybe. Probably. But definitely not right now.

I've got something much better, and much more challenging to aspire to, and that's being the best Mama I can be to this boisterous, beautiful 2 year old boy. He will change the world someday. He has already changed ours. So today, I'll gently take his tiny little hand once more, for one day all too soon he won't ask for mine anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment