Sunday, May 25, 2014

Glorious food!

Jack is going to be 5 months old in a couple weeks. Seriously, what happened to the itty bitty 7 pounder from 5 months ago? Last time he got weighed he was about 13 lbs and 25 inches long- tall and skinny (though you wouldn't guess it from his awesome leg rolls and chunky cheeks and tummy). But he eats like a racehorse. This past month at his 4 month check-up, our doctor suggested trying solids with him (sad day for Mommy... he's getting too grown-up too fast). He had been reaching and grabbing at Mike's and my food quite a bit, so we decided to go along with his suggestion and, lo and behold, our child is a solid-food rockstar. We started him on bananas, then moved to mangos, peas, sweet potatos and applesauce. He likes EVERYTHING. And when he wants more, he makes it very clear he wants more. When he's done, he purses his lips and scrunches his eyebrows together in a very "loosen muh pants" kinda way. It was nerve-racking at first to give him solids. I mean, what first time mom isn't? What's the worst thing that can happen? Oh I don't know... Choke and die? Yup. I sat there his whole first bowlful an stared him down like a one-eyed hawk. And then his second meal came... and third meal... and then I realized this kid eats better than I do half the time. Seriously.

We tried mesh feeders to see if he liked those... Nope. The only thing he likes about those is if he holds them over the side of his highchair Coop will come snatch them. So I guess that's out. It was a nice idea.

I can't believe just a few short months ago Jack was completely helpless- he couldn't grab anything, was awkward on the boob, and would pretty much just lie around all day being a baby. And now he's sitting up (with a little help), trying to crawl, holding his spoon (and sticking it in his eye or ear), and acting like a tiny human. No more amoeba baby, folks- this kid is for real.

I love that Jack is growing, that he converses with us with precious coos and babbles and lights up our hearts with his silly smiles. I love how his tiny hands will hold his nook for a good 5 minutes, turning it round and round, examining it ever so closely before violently shoving it in his mouth and covering it in drool before smiling, with this little sparkle in his eye, as if to say "oh yeah, this is delicious!" And then throw it across the room. And then laugh about it.

He is my world. And the best part is getting to travel down this road alongside Mike, my best friend, and share in the silly moments, the peas-in-hair moments, the projectile everything moments, the scary moments, the milestones and the precious firsts, with him. Mike gets so much joy out of seeing his son grow, and is already 1000x the dad I ever could've hoped or imagined he would be. He's just... Perfect. My perfect. And if Jack turns out to be even half the man my husband has become, this world will be blessed.

In a few weeks we will celebrate our anniversary. We've been friends 10 years now, together 5 years, married for 2. It's amazing how things change over time. I never would've guessed 10 years ago when I met Mike at the Sadie Hawkins dance ("...in my khaki pants"), that he'd one day be my husband and daddy to my children. It's a funny story, the way things panned out for Mike and I. Our lives constantly were intertwined- but we never actually connected until a time when we both needed one another. As crazy as it sounds, even as kids, I was best buds and went to preschool from 18 months thru kindergarten with a boy who would become one of Mike's best friends growing up. We lived just 10 minutes apart, went to rival high schools, went to church across the street from one another, went to college together, and managed to have our entire first semester together. But we didn't start dating until 3 years later, because I just happened to back out on a date with another engineer, a grad student in Material Science, and at the last minute go to a bonfire with my friend instead- which just happened to be at Mike's house. And that's where it all started: 5 years ago, I met my husband for the first time once more, this time for the last time.

But as I've figured out, God likes surprising us like that. We were on His time, and that's the best way to be. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

So here's to being in love again, now for the 3rd time. My God, my husband, my baby. They have stolen my heart again and again, and yet each time, instead of feeling like they're taking little pieces of my heart, I can only describe it as though I feel that they're instead filling it. Through the glorious joy I've been blessed with these last few years through my amazing husband and beautiful little boy, I have experienced the workings of an incredibly gracious, loving, and powerful God. And I praise him every morning as I wake up next to my wonderful husband, and every night as a rock my baby to sleep. Words can't describe the utter joy you feel when you know God has had your entire life in His hands.

So in a couple days, Mike and I will once again celebrate one of the most beautiful days of our lives. Our beginning of forever. We decided why limit it to just Monday when we can have an entire weekend of awesome? So we're going out to dinner Friday night at the melting pot, Saturday we're going to Madison and Farmer's market, Sunday we're going fishing and hiking down by the Milwaukee River. And Monday is apparently a surprise for me, courtesy of Mike :) I can't wait to enjoy this weekend with my best friend and the little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment