Thursday, June 5, 2014

Back to Work (aka, a God thing)

I got the news this week! Finally, after months of interviewing and considering multiple job options, I finally accepted an offer for my first job- in oncology/hematology. I am SO excited it's not even funny. It's rare for a specialty job to consider new grads, let alone at Froedtert. But clearly God was looking out for me once again. And the best part- it's a 7/70 PM position! Meaning 7 days straight, 10 hours each from 12:30pm-11pm. And then you get an entire week off. So yes- if I take a week of vacation, I get 3 weeks off, technically. Future babies: maternity leave ends up being 12 weeks, not 6, due to the week on, week off. Can you say awesome?

I am not going to lie though, I am 100% aware that this was not my doing. It was not because I'm super intelligent, because I'm ridiculously good-looking, or because I am the nicest person to grace the planet since Mother Teresa. I got a job in oncology, at the regions #1 academic medical center, in a magnet facility, in the position I wanted, shift I wanted, in a specialty I've always been interested in, and the hospital is literally 7 minutes from our house. My neighbor, an incredibly sweet Christian woman with two babies of her own (one being a little boy Jack's age) who runs her own in-home daycare just told us she has a spot for Jack. Yes, our awesome neighbor. Which means weeks I do work, I will still get to be home with my baby boy every day until noon, when I'll walk him next door, til Mike picks him up again at 3. Three hours of daycare. And every other week, I'll be off an entire week to love and snuggle him and just be mom.

No, this wasn't my doing at all. This was most definitely what Mike and I deem a "God thing." We are both praising God every day that He blessed us with such an incredible opportunity. I got to be home with my sweet baby now for what will almost be 6 months, and nowa that I am going back to work I still will be home much of Jack's childhood. I will still get to enjoy him and spend time with my husband in the mornings and my weeks off, and still work full-time, which is what our family needs right now. It is truly a blessing I can't even begin to comprehend.

One of my greatest fears in going back to work was missing out on Jack's childhood- not being there for his milestones, his "big moments." But as I've been told again and again by friends who've done the 7/70, it's the most amazing schedule, and with being off every other week for a whole week, it lets you be there for those moments. And to not have to be on nights my first job- well, I can't even put into words just how thankful Mike and I both are for that. 

So here's to God once again filling our plate, blessing us with a situation so unfathomably amazing only He could pull this off. Thanks God. Again. You're awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment